Article Written by Isabella Granara
Learn how to erupt your very own sand volcano anywhere this summer. Perfect for all ages and is inexpensive and simple. Building your own volcano is a classic experiment, so let us know in the comments if you enjoyed it!
For the experiment you’ll need:
- Reusable Water Bottle
- 1 tbsp Baking Soda
- 2 tbsp Water
- 1 tbsp washing up liquid
- Red food coloring
- Wet sand (or anything that you can mold around your water bottle)
Follow these steps:
- In the bowl combine baking soda and washing up liquid. Add the water and mix it until it becomes one mixture.
- In the cup, mix together the vinegar and red food coloring.
- Pour your bowl mixture into your reusable water bottle.
- Use your wet sand, or anything that you want, that can mold to your reusable water bottle to make it look like a volcano!
- When you’re ready, pour the cup mixture into the water bottle and watch the eruption!
Volcanoes are the opening of the Earth’s crust and are usually on high grounds/mountains. They usually form at divergent and convergent boundaries as well as hot spots in the middle of tectonic plates. Tectonic plates are rocks that make up the Earth’s outer shell. Molten rock, gases, and ash can escape from the opening of volcanoes – this mixture is called magma. Volcanoes erupt when magma rises to the surface.
This experiment was inspired by Natural History Museum.